What we do
We have been helping organizations with their business process and (non-) financial reporting challenges for over fifteen years. Carbon Accounting and Management is a welcome and much-needed addition to our service offering.
CO2 Footprint Calculation
Why a CO2 footprint calculation?
Knowing your CO2 footprint is fast becoming a ‘must’ for every
organization. It feeds into risk management, cost reduction
programs and stakeholder management. Some examples:
- Customers asking for your footprint (on either
organizational level or product level, or both).
- Your organization must report on climate related topics to comply with laws and regulations.
- You find that (prospective) employees want to work for a more sustainable employer.
- A carbon footprint calculation can lead the way to cost
- You want to draw up reduction targets and communicate
these internally or externally.
- Your organization needs to be ready for carbon taxes.
Steps in CO2 footprint calculation
Determine your scope
Change your processes and calculate footprint yourself
How to calculate your organization’s CO2 footprint?
Once we have provided you with your first CO2 footprint, you may be interested in calculating it yourself in the following years. To be able to calculate the footprint yourself, we will always give you recommendations after completing your CO2 inventory.
Process changes that ease CO2 footprint calculation
To calculate a footprint according to the GHG Protocol by yourself, we advise a couple of process changes:
- Add to your source systems those activities that actually determine your emissions (kilometers travelled or transported, fuel usage, weight, etc.).
- Make sure you can extract activity data easily from source systems.
- Link data sheets using automatic formulas.
- Use carbon accounting software.
Why carbon accounting software?
Carbon accounting software:
- Helps you to standardize processes.
- Comes with out-of-the-box dashboards and report to make comparisons.
- Automatically updates to most recent emission factor tables.
- Are (usually) built on the principles of the GHG Protocol and ISO 14064-1 and can also create reports in those formats (or even following GRI, CSRD and other reporting templates).
- Makes comparing and sharing of data much easier.
Steps in software selection
Requirements analysis and knock-out criteria
Demo sessions by suppliers
Formulate Reduction Targets And Decarbonization Strategies
Why would you commit to reduction targets and decarbonization strategies?
A CO2 footprint calculation is seldom the end goal. The footprint usually demands immediate action to reduce emissions (and cost). Reductions can be aligned with international frameworks like the Science Based Targets Initiative. Reductions can also be mandatory by law or regulations.
Steps in formulating reduction targets
Decide if your organization want to set an absolute target or an intensity target (emission per product, sales volume, FTE, etc.).
Determine the scope of your target (which emissions, which organizational entities).
Determine the year that you will use as baseline.
Determine for which period your commitment holds.
Decide if you want to allow yourself to use offsets or credits to reach your goals.
Report your actual emissions against your targets.
Project Management CSRD
Why do you need project management for CSRD?
The Corporate Sustainability Reporting Directive (CSRD) is comprehensive. Because data must come from different departments of the organization, we advise you to create a project to realize this. The steps to start you out on the CSRD project journey, and where we can help, are:
- Analyze how your organization affects the environment and how the environment impacts your organization. This also means having a clear view on where your organization sources goods and services.
- What do you already know about the ESG-topics you need to report on? And who is responsible for what?
- Engage with your auditor early on and discuss the topics that you would and would not report on. Does your auditor agree?
- Analyze your existing processes. Which can be used as-is for data gathering? Which have to be tweaked? And which have to be built up from the ground?
Make sure your project team contains different disciplines and don’t forget to enlist corporate communications, legal and finance.
Consultancy And Project Management
With over 25 years of experience in consulting and project management in change projects such as business process redesign, software selection & implementation, and (organizational) restructuring, we have built a track-record of being a creative partner that takes assignments from thought to finish.